Building a NXDN amateur radio repeater

Building a NXDN amateur radio repeater

I have designs on setting up a very local NXDN repeater sometime next year. IDAS repeaters aren't that expensive, and I have access to rooftop space at a local apartment highrise. It would be nice if I could convince an owner of one of the seemingly 4000 unused 70cm repeaters in this city to convert.

So far, I've met a lot of nice dudes in ham radio, but a lot of guys seem to be very rooted in the distant past. The only moves made towards digital in the area seems to be NHARC converting a 2m and a 70cm repeater to DSTAR, and the CMU guys have a mixed mode analog/P25 70cm repeater on the air. To put it lightly, I don't believe DSTAR has a future. After seeing the possibilities, I also believe that analog FM will be extinct in 20 years. NXDN and TRBO are superior to P25 and DSTAR, and will be the digital modes of the future.


How does one go about doing this? I've dealt with the possibility of a proprietary system for my company on Part 90, and the list of crap is exhaustive. Everything is super-regulated. I'm guessing that no such issues exist with ham, or is that just wishful thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, Comments may take a day to show up

A discussion group about this subject.

Digital Ham Radio / Amateur Radio
DigitalHamRADIO@groups.io
https://groups.io/g/DigitalHamRADIO
****** share this with others *******

Amateur Radio Users Support Group
AmateurRadio@groups.io
https://groups.io/g/AmateurRadio
****** share this with others *******

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.